As a consultant I offer strategic advice and practical help with data science, data analysis, digital transformation and procurement, and market analysis. My clients range from tiny SMEs to pan-European organisations. I can draw on three years’ experience as a consultant and 20 years as an academic at the Open University, with world-class skills in getting best value from data and working with people, technology, data science, and artificial intelligence.
I am a highly experienced data scientist, researcher, analyst, project leader, teacher, developer, educational technologist and manager. I particularly enjoy rapidly appraising new-to-me contexts, and mediating between highly technical specialisms and others, from ordinary users to senior management.
Throughout my work I strive to use my people and technology skills for social good.
Data Science and Research Consultancy
Do you need someone to
- Help you understand your business or customers better?
- Tackle a thorny data problem?
- Assemble evidence for a big decision?
- Strategically appraise your organisation & context?
- Upskill your team?
- Do an independent option assessment?
- Do a feasibility study?
- Say if that data pitch is credible or snake oil?
- Help where you don’t know what you don’t know?
I can help!
If you want some ideas about how I could help, in December 2021 I wrote a longer Twitter thread full of ideas of work I could do for you.
I offer bespoke services, from short consultancies to longer contracts. If I can’t help directly, I will do what I can to connect you with someone who can. So do get in touch!
- Strategic focus and systematic understanding
- Research and analysis
- Data science, statistics, analytics, artificial intelligence, machine learning, quantitative research
- Interviews, focus groups, workshops, qualitative research
- Innovation and organisational change
- Broad knowledge of subject and practice domains (including science, engineering, healthcare and medicine, economics, philosophy, law, policy, and education at all levels)
- Rapid understanding of new contexts and domains
- Leading and managing multidisciplinary teams of specialists
- Knowledge brokerage between a wide range of stakeholders,
- Policy and regulatory issues, including data protection (GDPR), copyright, ethics, and domain-specific policy and legislation
- 30 years’ experience in delivering technology projects across a wide range of topics within and beyond academia
- Longstanding personal interests in education, medicine and healthcare, aviation, economics, current affairs, retail, and computing and consumer electronics
- Engaging and effective presentations and teaching